At a Glance

Adjacent to historic Hingham Square lie 13 acres of open parkland -- rolling hills and terraces known as Hingham Cemetery. Established over 340 years ago c. 1672, the privately-owned cemetery is the resting place of numerous state and national patriots, statesmen, militia, and townspeople who helped build and shape our country. It is one of the few historical cemeteries with lots still available for sale. 

The grounds also encompass Hingham's only Veterans' burial area, its only arboretum, and a Memorial Garden for cremations. Two town-owned monuments (the Settler's Monument seen on the town seal, and the Civil War obelisk) are located in the cemetery. The site also contains many colonial slate headstones, some credited to noted headstone carvers of the 17th and 18th centuries, as well as Victorian artwork by three major American sculptors of the 19th century.

A professional landscape crew helps maintain the grounds to insure that the lawns and gardens remain attractive to family and friends. We encourage visitors to enjoy the grounds, trees, and monuments in this quiet, contemplative setting one block from Hingham Square. School groups, researchers and visitors from around the globe visit year round.  

Run by a group of dedicated, unpaid volunteer Board of Directors, Hingham Cemetery is a non-profit, non-sectarian organization serving the town of Hingham. Our emphasis today is not only the renewal of the 175-yr-old arboretum and the Colonial and Victorian areas, but also the incorporation of our newer Water Street area. 

Cemetery tours describing history, social times, monument icons, important burials, etc. are given twice a year or by request.   Contact Us

Mission Statement

Board of Directors:

Jay Sadlon, President
Richard Hawkins, Interim Treasurer
John Davenport, Clerk

Kathleen Bright
Sue Bush
Ruth Davis
Anne Kimball
Lawrence Lindner
Mathew MacIver
Susan Russell
Christine Wasson

 

gates at Hingham Cemetery