Governor John D. Long

Long-time resident of Hingham, Massachusetts Governor, John D. Long, dedicated a good part of his life to public office.

He came to Hingham in 1867 and built his house on Cottage St. overlooking the harbor the year before he married. His interest in public service began 8 years later: State Representative twice, Lt. Governor, Governor (in 1879), 3 terms in the US House of Representatives, and finally Secretary of the Navy under President McKinley in 1897.

In Hingham, he was a champion of both Prohibition and Women’s Suffrage. Finally, as Town Moderator for 10 years, he procured $10,000 (a large amount of money in that time) from the Federal Government for land taken for the Naval Ammunition Depot along the Back River.

Governor Long