Tomb of the Three Ministers

The "Tomb of the Three Ministers" contains the remains of Hingham's first three ministers. 
 a. Rev. Peter Hobart (1604-1679) - First minister
 b. Rev. John Norton (1651-1716) - Second minister
 c. Rev. Ebenezer Gay (1696-1787) – Third minister

As was customary in England at the time, Hingham’s early settlers buried their dead around the meeting house. The original meeting house was located on a hill approximately where Old Derby Academy now stands, and the second meeting house (dating from 1680) is the current Old Ship Church, both on Main Street, Hingham. 

When the street was lowered in 1835 to accommodate horse-drawn trolley transportation, the remains of many early settlers were unearthed. It is surmised that when the remains of the first three ministers of Old Ship Church were uncovered, it was impossible to identify each specifically. Therefore, the remains were reburied together in one tomb located behind their church in Hingham Cemetery.

Tomb of the Three Ministers