Chapel

Hingham Cemetery's Ames Chapel was designed in the Queen Anne style by architect J. Sumner Fowler and erected in 1886. Its purpose was to be a venue for funeral services for people who had moved out of town and were no longer affiliated with a house of worship in the area. As the years passed, descendants had stopped coming back to bury their parents or grandparents in the family plot, and the chapel went out of use, subsequently falling into disrepair.

In 2015, with the help of private donations and grants from the Hingham Community Preservation Committee, the Massachusetts Historical Commission, and the Hingham Historical Commission, the Ames underwent a magnificent $1 million restoration and is now available to rent - at cost - for private parties, including rehearsal dinners, small weddings, conferences, symposia, book signings, small chamber music concerts, art showings, board meetings, and so on. For more information, please contact info@hinghamcemetery.org.

chapel