Circle of Colonial Headstones

This grouping of the earliest original and replicated slate headstones in the cemetery belonged to Hingham settlers buried around the original meetinghouses, both located where Main St. is today. The grave markers were collected when the street was lowered for horse-drawn trolleys in the 1830’s. They were placed on the site of an early Hingham fort and next to the Settlers’ Monument. The gravestone with the earliest date is located here: Wm. Hersey, b. 1592 in Reading, England, d. 1638 in Hingham (Replica)

 

Circle of Headstones